Have you ever experienced those moments you doubt using a PC and wonder if the Mac life is the way to go? Those awesome moments when Mac users share huge files swiftly via ‘AirDrop’, and you wish there was an awesome program like that for linux or windows? Well, no worries, I did some digging and even though there are a lot of such applications out there, I stumbled upon Dukto, the ultimate simple, easy and fast file sharing application, similar to the core functionality of AirDrop.
Dukto R6 is a software project now in it’s 6th release, with many improvements over the previous versions. It’s an easy file transfer tool designed for LAN use. You do not have to worry about users, permissions, operating systems, protocols, clients, servers and so on. The interface is sleek and straightforward with an inspired Microsoft Metro style UI feel.
This software is a winner, mainly because it is cross platform and executes the very core functionality of transferring files easily.
It runs on the following platforms;
- Windows (XP or later)
- OS X (10.6.x or later)
- Linux (packaged for Ubuntu and Fedora)
- Symbian (for Nokia touch phones)
Dukto’s main features are:
- Simple user interface
- No server or internet connection needed
- Zero configuration
- Clients auto-discovery
- High speed file transfer
- Multi-OS native support
- Portable version available
- Multi files and folders transfer
- Transfers log
- Send and receive text snippets (eg. useful for sending URLs)
- Open received files directly from the application
- Windows 7 taskbar integration with progress and transfer indicator
- Show your IP addresses on the IP connection page
- Full Unicode support
- Metro style UI
- Free and open source
Getting started is very easy;
- Download and install the software by choosing your platform. For windows and Mac, you can install it right away, But for Linux users like myself, (Ubuntu-based or Fedora-based distribution), you have the option to use your favourite tool, the terminal. See Instructions HERE!
- After installation, open the program and connect to a LAN or WiFi.
- Click on IP connection and enter the IP of the computer or device you want to connect to. The program saves the IP address so you wouldn’t have to re-enter an IP over and over again, so long as the IP doesn’t change.
- A list of options are enabled once you are connected. You can send type out and send plain text, or send one copied to the clipboard, send files or an entire folder. You can select these options or simply drag and drop.
File transfer is so fast that it took less than a minute to transfer the 256.4 MB folder in the screenshot above.
I am totally impressed with this application and I recommend it to anyone who constantly shares files with friends and co-workers.
Dukto is a free open source project, licensed under GPL.
Big ups to the developer, Emanuele Colombo, visit his blog to learn more.
35,189 total views, 7 views today