Yesterday I was feeling really hungry and didn’t want to buy food outside or eat anything with oil and pepper. Fun fact, my stomach dislikes pepper and I get sick every time. It has never disappointed, but my tongue loves pepper, and shito is my favourite must have food accessory. I didn’t feel like getting sick today and I had been craving vegetables all week, so I decided to prepare something different from my usual raw or boiled vegetables.
I checked the fridge I had an awesome amount of vegetables I could use. I took them all out and realised I had some plantains too. Since I didn’t want to fry or boil them I decided to just bake them, so in the end I baked plantains with vegetables to go with a small portion of rice and boiled eggs. I wanted to share the recipe and maybe you can spice it up with some suggestions.
I didn’t measure the quantity of vegetables and spices I used and did it the natural way. Africans are amazingly great at guessing the amount of spices and whatever and it always turns out great! So please use your “African cooking instinct” and it will be just as awesome!
– Plantains (ripe but hard)
– Green Pepper
– Hard Tomatoes (if you want a bit of a soft/watery mixture, else skip this)
– Eggs (if you want a bit of a soft/watery mixture, else skip this)
Optional Vegetables ( I didn’t use them because I didn’t have any but I highly recommend them)
– Sweet potatoes (in place on plantains)
– Garden eggs (or egg plants)
– Salt to taste
– Curry powder
– Powdered pepper (optional)
– Badia all seasoning
– Powdered papaw seeds
Be creative and experiment with different spices
1. Pre heat oven (medium heat)
2. – Wash vegetables with salt water and cut them up into sizes you are most comfortable
– Cut plantains into smaller pieces and place in a big bowl together with the vegetables
3. Add your spices in the right amounts to the mix
4. Carefully mix it all up
5. Butter the oven pan
6. Pour the vegetables into the pan and place in the oven to bake
7. Bake for 20 minutes and check if it’s cooked. If not bake for another 5 – 10 minutes, checking every 5 minutes.
– Boil plain rice and eggs
You should smell the aroma in your kitchen with all those spices acting together :). Yummy!
Serve plantain and vegetables as it is or serve with plain rice and garnish with eggs. You can be a bit adventurous and add shito , hot sauce or stew.
That is it. Try it out and let me know what you think! Cheers!
66,952 total views, 2 views today